Thursday, August 21, 2014

Practice Blog

What I Want My Students to Know


-Who I am

My name is Lauren Parker. I am 21 years old and currently live in Robertsdale, Alabama. I lived in Mobile until I was fifteen and then moved to Fairhope where I graduated high school.Me and my husband,Ryan, bought a house in Robertsdale last November. I have a 19 month old son named Morgan. Morgan's doctor told us that he is very advanced for his age. My husband and I got married last March.

I am attending South because it is one of only university that is close to where I live, and it has a great reputation. I am getting my degree in elementary education and I am in tier 1. I am entering in the field of education because it is what I have always dreamed of doing. To me, it is a honorable career choice.

-Why do I want to be an educator?

I have wanted to be an educator for as long as I can remember. I love being around children. Being able to teach a child something that they have never seen and being able to get them to understand something that was not clear to them before is one of the greatest feelings in the world. You can see their little motors running and all of a sudden it clicks. Me personally, I learned more and retained the most information in elementary school. I would like to impact a child like that some day.

-What does an educator do in his or her practice?

The sole purpose of an educator is to teach. It is much more than standing in front of a class and reading the text book. They have to make sure the students are retaining the information and can apply it. An educator must act as a role model because when they are teaching children, the children will often immolate them.

-What are my passions?

My passions include my family. I am very big on family. My husband let me stay home with my son for the first year and not have to have a job so I could spend all the time in the world with him. I love school and I always strive to do my best. I guess it is a good thing I enjoy school so much because hopefully one day I will be working in one.

What I Wand My Students to be Able to Do


I would like my students to be able to use the information I teach them. I do not want my students to just learn material for a test and be done with it. I want them to retain as much of the information as possible so they can use it later on in life. There were so many things in high school that built off of things you had already learned. Well, if you only memorized the information before you could not move forward with new material. Things are just ten times harder that way. So might as well buckle down and actually learn the information now. I would also like for my future students to learn about technology. Technology will always be around and it is constantly changing. Not knowing how to use a computer these days is almost as bad as not knowing how to read. Almost everything can be done on a computer now and if an educator does not teach them the proper methods where else will they learn?






photo from Lauren Parker's photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment