Sunday, October 5, 2014

Blog Post 7

How Do We All Become Learners?

I really love project based learning. Students have more independence and take charge of their learning. Students can help others or get others to help them. When students are researching on there own they learn more information on the topic. The students must weed threw the information and pick out the information they would want to use on their project. In the video We All Become Learners Michele Bennett used the term challenged based learning. Which is exactly what project based learning is. As a teacher you do not give the student all they information on a silver platter you are actually helping them more when you make them search for it. This helps them develop life time research skills.

There are so many great programs and websites now. On How to use and build a board on Board Builder the teacher shows you and student also shows you how to create a board. The students looked very excited to show their boards on the Whale project and The Animal Haven Project. The students do all of there own research on their own. One of the best resources for students to use is AVL (Alabama Virtual Library). This is a safe search engine and has videos, audio, text, and pictures. If the students can not read very well yet they can click on an audio buttion and follow along while it reads to them. One of the best videos is Alabama Virtual Library as a Kindergartner Center. This video shocked me on how easy and resourceful the AVL app was. Kindergartners did there own research on their iPads, watched videos, listened to audio, and then completed an activity that corresponded all by themselves. This is crazy cool! Kindergartners doing there own research! It just blew me away.

One of the best things I have going for me when it comes to the technology revolution, is that I know that I am well aware that I do not know it all. I am very willing to learn and I want to learn. I want to give my future students the best education possible. Students are so excited to use new technology. They should not suffer just because I do not know how to use it. Michele Bennett said that students can show us how to use things. We do not have to know everything. Students half the time already know more about technology than we ever will. I could improve on finding my own projects to do with my future students; like doing my own research on new and up coming teaching programs. Things are constantly changing in our world and we must change too.

Alabama Virtual Library Symbol

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I agree with you that project based learning is an amazing way for students to learn. I don't think that students should have the information given to them either. I believe that doing research is good for students because they learn a lot more than they would otherwise. Overall great post and great use of links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "there own"--their. Every instance of this phrase needs to be corrected to "their own". The word "there" refers to a place or a point in space. The word "their" is the possessive form of "they".
    "weed threw the information"--through. The word "threw" is the past tense form of "throw".

    Did you check out the videos about QR codes? QR codes are pretty cool and make sharing information with your students and their parents easier and even more fun!

    ReplyDelete