Saturday, September 6, 2014

Blog Post 3

How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers?


When teachers grade our work we usually have no problem with the way that he/she grades it. So, why is it that when a fellow student grades our work we flip out? I can only guess that we believe that because the student is in the same class as we are or the same grade level they could not possibly know something that we don't. When a peer grades my work I am totally a Defensive Dave. I spend lots of time on my work and really try my hardest to make sure I am turning in the best product possible. When a peer makes corrections or suggestions it I feel like I am being attacked personally. Yes, I am very aware of how dramatic I am.

Two young women attacking each other

Being a Defensive Dave has its ups. When I grade another students work I can to relate on how the student would feel if I just say only negative things. One must always start with complements when grading a peer paper because the student will be more inclined to really listen to what their peer has to say if they are being praised. Staying positive is key. If a peer just says negative things, the student will believe only the negative. Making suggestions is helpful. Also, a good peer grader must correct mistakes. You can be kind in your review but you also need to correct the student if they need correcting. Otherwise what is the point of the review.


2 comments:

  1. Be sure to include the links to the resources/videos that were in the assignment. What did you learn from these resources?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I though you only had to put the links if we referred to it in our post. I put what I learned in the second paragraph.

      "One must always start with complements when grading a peer paper because the student will be more inclined to really listen to what their peer has to say if they are being praised. Staying positive is key. If a peer just says negative things, the student will believe only the negative. Making suggestions is helpful. Also, a good peer grader must correct mistakes. You can be kind in your review but you also need to correct the student if they need correcting. "

      Delete