Sunday, September 28, 2014

Blog Post 6

What did you learn from these conversations with Andy Capps?

Project Based Learning Part 1

Project Based Learning Part 2

ICurio

Discovery Education

The Anthony-Strange Tips

Dont Teach Tec Use It

Additional Thoughts About Lessons



The video that I most enjoyed was Dont Teach Tec use It. I really liked this video because Mr. Capps had some really good ideas about teaching technology. I liked how he pointed out that it is crazy that technology in schools is still controversial. It is crazy that some people are not willing to learn about technology and dont want our students to learn it either when Technology is around us at all times weather we like it or not. Technology that teachers are using in classrooms today comes natural to students. It comes naturally to them because that is all they have ever known. Students enjoy using technology and it is fun for them. I really liked Capps's term of "scaffolding" the learning of technology. How each week build onto the week before's lesson. This way they are learning each part and can use each part separately and all together.

Having a classroom with almost 30 students can be very messy when trying to do projects together but with technology there is no mess. He says that there is no clean up and no spills when using technology for projects. One of my favorite things I learned from watching theses videos was this quote, "What kind of project can I create that will give my students an opportunity to need to know the content that I need them to know." I really love this because it was confusing at first and I had to replay it several times before I fully understand what Mr.Capps was saying. I believe that he is saying that the students need to work on projects to learn not do projects to show what they have learned and how do I show as a teacher how to use the tools to get the information that they will need for the project. I am saving this quote to put it into my teaching philosophy.

two school age boys laying on the ground with laptops

3 comments:

  1. What else did you watch? You missed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched all of the videos. I just like the don't teach it video the best. To me it had the most ideas that I have not heard before.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren, I was astounded at what his third graders could do. I personally couldn't have done what they do on an everyday basis less than three months ago. I also think it is important to utilize technology in our classrooms because it is a new era of teaching, Even elementary kids have cell phones and i pads now and can probably use them more efficiently than you or I can. I also agree with what Mr. Capps said, technology = no mess. That alone makes me want to utilize technology for group projects. No mess means more time for you and I to grade papers.

    ReplyDelete