Sunday, November 2, 2014

Blog Post 11

What can we learn about teaching and learning from these teachers?



cartoon superhero for online safety

In Back to the Future Brian Crosby had some good techniques that we could use in our future classroom. For one, I really like that he had his second graders blogging in his classroom. I really do think that students enjoy blogging and sharing their thoughts for the world to see. The other thing that I saw that I liked was that he had to students so a science project but after the science project was over he had them get creative and had them write. I love when teachers show how everything is connected in some way.

In Blended Learning Cycle Paul explained blended learning. He had his students working online in the classroom, mobile and online. The five E's of the learning process are engage, explore, experiment, explain and evaluate.

In Making Thinking Visible the teacher had the students go into small groups and discuss about a video they watched. He had his students kinda make predictions about the up coming project. They did this with a video too. The made headlines for several videos and in the end they can see if they were right about their beginning perception about the project.

In the video Sam Pane 4th Grade it told students how to be safe while online. Then the students made comic books with superheros fighting internet crime. They presented their comics to other students. I really like how they did this project. With all the online assignments being done now it is very important to tell the students that we need to be careful when working online. This is a very good way to get students involved and take safety seriously and have a little fun in the learning process.

In the video Project Based Learning it show us that every subject can be incorporated into one project. This is one of my favorite things. I think that it is very important showing that all subjects are intertwined in some way. If students are not interested in science but we have them write a blog about a experiment they might enjoy and still learn from the experiment.

In Roosevelt Elementary PBL Program it just reiterated the necessity of having a PBL curriculum. Students love doing projects and they learn better by doing them. To me it is a win win. I like how in the video the teacher had the students working on real life problems. I feel like when they are working on real live issues they feel like they are learning things that are actually important. Talking together in groups gives students confidence. One teacher took it a step further and had her kindergarteners work on public speaking. Learning public speaking at a young age is helpful in that they have so much time to perfect it in the up coming years. The first time I had a public speaking class was in collage. I think if I would have had public speaking from the very beginning of my schooling I think it would have made me a more out spoken and confident individual.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren, great post! I agree that integrating subjects is very useful. If a student does not like a certain subject you can mix it in with one they do enjoy and they are more likely to learn!

    ReplyDelete